Getting happily wed is the dream of many, and once you have found ‘the one,’ you should do all you can to hold on to them and never let them go. So if you are one of the lucky ones, what’s the next step? Getting married, of course!


If you are planning a civil wedding, there are some things you should know, though. Here is a basic overview of civil weddings and what requirements you need.

What are the requirements for a civil wedding?

The requirements for a civil wedding are simple: you must be over 16 years old, free to marry (meaning you are not currently married to anyone else), and you must not be directly related by blood to your future partner. If you are not yet 18 but are over 16, you need to get consent from your father, mother, or guardian.

There are also two basic steps when it comes to getting married – first, you have to give your notice of intent to marry at the register office where you reside. The second step is to have a civil wedding or religious ceremony within 28 days after giving notice.

When you visit your register office, you must include certain details of your wedding, especially where you are planning to get married. The notice you have submitted will then be displayed in public in the register office for a total of 28 days. 

Documents needed for giving notice 

There are also certain documents you need to bring with you when you give notice at your register office. These documents include identification that will show proof of your age, name, and nationality, such as a passport (make sure that it’s valid!), a birth certificate, a national ID card from the EEA or European Economic Area, a certificate of registration or naturalisation, a biometric residence permit or card, or a travel document.

Additionally, you need to present proof of your residence or address by showing a valid driving licence for the UK or the EEA, a utility bill from the preceding three months, a bank statement or building society statement from the past month, a mortgage statement not exceeding one year, an existing agreement or contract for tenancy, or a bill for council tax not older than one year. If you still don’t have any of these, you can also present a letter from your existing landlord stating that you live in that particular address. The letter (made within the past seven days) should include the name of your landlord, their address, as well as their signature.

Getting married is relatively easy as long as you have all the required documents. And to make your dream wedding come true, you can choose to have it amongst one of the finest wedding venues in Doncaster: The Regent Hotel.



Image attributed to stockimages/